Short Term Mission Experience
New Song Mission would love to share our vision of community by having you join us in Haiti! If you would like to spend a week serving alongside New Song, we have many opportunities for you and the talents the Lord has given you. Whether you are a gifted carpenter, a teacher, in the medical profession or more importantly, just LOVE THE LORD…we have a place for you! For 7 days you will be able to visit this beautiful country, immerse yourself in Haitian culture, meet wonderful people and be the hands and feet of Jesus.
We know you are wondering, what does the trip cost and what is included? Approximate cost of a 7 day trip is $2000.00 per person. Which covers airfare plus $110.00/day. The $110.00/day cost covers the following charges while in country:
- GROUND CHARGES-Once you have made it to New Song, we will transport you to all outings, events and excursions.
- MEALS-We have some wonderful cooks at New Song and they will provide for you a superb breakfast and a filling dinner at the end of a busy day of ministry. Lunch will generally be on the go or picnic style depending on the events planned that day.
- LODGING-New Song has a two story home in Port-de-Paix where you will stay. There are shared bunk style rooms downstairs with our living, dining and kitchen upstairs. Three full bathrooms for our guests makes showers after a hot day of ministry easy and convenient.
Is there is a special project you or your team would like to complete while you are in country? Share that with our trip coordinator and they will gather cost estimates so you know what the project will cost. The funds to cover the special project can be sent along with the in country costs.
Who books our flights? All flights to and from Haiti will need to be booked by you or the person planning your trip. You will fly into and out of Port au Prince, Haiti.
How much money will I need when I am in Haiti? Often times, you will see some items that you will want to take home as reminders of your trip. There is beautiful artwork, jewelry, baskets, hand stitched items and so much more that you will want to bring home to family, friends or for yourself. You may also want to purchase items in the market, a snack or a drink. We would suggest you bring $200-$300 in spending money for any of the above items. You may not spend it, but it is better to have it with you as obtaining money from an ATM can be difficult and costly.
Making a Great Mission Experience
As a part of a mission team to Haiti, you will experience many things. Things that will touch your heart, break your heart, bring joy, bring realization, but most of all bring about change. This mission experience will change how you see your world, the world as a whole and how you see God. He will reveal Himself in a new way to you as you look at Haiti and it’s people through His eyes.
There are so many things we want to tell you before you come, so we will go over a few here:
- Be aware of your ministry expectations in relation to reality.
- Be willing to follow the lead of NSM as we have done ministry in Haiti for many years.
- Be flexible.
- Be gracious to the missionaries and their family.
- Be in prayer daily. Keeping a journal through your trip is also a great way to remember what you did each day, but also helps work through some of the things that you will experience.
- Don’t be afraid to get dirty!
- Eat the food that is prepared. It may look different or taste different, but don’t miss out on the opportunity to try something new.
- Study the language and don’t be afraid to try to speak it.
- Be a part of your team, don’t seclude yourself.
- Stay positive.
- Fundraising for your trip is a great way to get friends and family involved. Need fundraising ideas? We can help.
- Take lots of pictures.
Have questions about Haiti? About NSM? About our missionaries or how you can be a part of NSM? Contact us at (405)209-4523 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to read a good book before coming? Read, When Helping Hurts by Corbett & Fikkert.